Friday, August 7, 2015

Mini Reviews

Its time for another mini review! The book world has be kind to me these last few months. I'm particularly in love with dystopian fiction at the moment and can never pass up a book with a walled city surrounded by dangerous wild woods and controlled by an all-powerful commander. So, without further ado, I have three three dystopian novels for you today and one fantasy.



The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf by Ambelin Kwaymullina
This book was awesome! Seriously! I never guessed the ended, and I'm talking major plot twists here. There's nothing really more to say about this book except for 1) you must read this, and 2) it's written by an Aussie author! So proud.

Skylark by Meagan Spooner
This dystopian book features a wall, a girl whose never seen the sky before, and flying machines called 'pixies'. What more could a reader want? This book also features a nice, unguessable twist towards the end that turns the story on its head and makes you rethink everything you thought was true. There are some great, original elements in this story, the biggest one being magic. The whole idea of magic is manipulated to fit into this twisted society. In this way, the book is a little disturbing, but in others ways its exciting, fascinating and cleaver. Also, a must read for the dystopian lover.

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
This book is a little out of my normal reading zone. It's dystopian, but without the magic element. When I first read the blurb I first thought was to dump it back on the book shelf but for some strange, unknown reason I ended up taking it home with me, and I'm sure glad I did. There are definitely dark elements in this book; poverty, death, and murderer are just a few of the themes, however from the darkest of holes comes the most powerful friendship bonds. Bacigalupi has masterfully conquered, and redefined friendship and loyalty in this book making it an inspiring read. (On a side note, the protagonist is a male so any for anyone looking for strong, independent male character, this is the one for you.)

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Putting aside walled cities for a moment, my next favourite subject is assassins, and Throne of Glass is just that. What I love about this book is the strong female character. She is so sure of herself the entire way through the book and I love that about her. I love that she knows who she is and she isn't afraid to show it. My only disappointment was the fact that Celeana (the worlds greatest eighteen-year-old assassin) ended up with the wrong the guy. I was so rooting for the other man. All. The. Way.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails